Town of Avon issues guidelines for short-term rentals in zone districts |

Town of Avon issues guidelines for short-term rentals in zone districts

Daily staff report

AVON — Town officials issued a release this week reminding property owners of regulations governing short-term rental properties within the town. Short-term rentals are those residential properties which are rented for less than 31 consecutive days within approved zone districts. Wildridge is not a zone that allows short-term rentals.

Where permitted, property owners must collect and remit applicable sales and accommodations taxes for rentals and abide by state and local laws requiring the installation of carbon monoxide alarms in rented properties. The requirements apply to all short-term rentals regardless of the method advertised such as through a management company, online marketing services like Craigslist, VRBO, airbnb, by newspaper or other method.

Information on obtaining a sales tax license and remitting taxes can be found on the town’s website at or by calling Beth Johnson at 970-748-4019.

Zoning information for short-term rentals can be obtained by contacting the Community Development at 970-748-4413.

Questions regarding carbon monoxide safety can be directed to William Gray, Building Official, at 970-748-4011.


1. Verify that zoning and any homeowner associations covenants allow short-term rentals. Homeowner associations may have covenants which restrict short-term rentals even if the zoning allows the use. Contacting the town of Avon Community Development Department and the respective HOA can provide a determination of short-term rental allowances.

2. Obtain a business license, a sales tax license and include the Avon business license number in all advertisements for the property. A sales tax license can be obtained through the town’s website at There is no fee to obtain the license. Once a license is issued, you will be able to file your returns and make payment online.

3. Install operational carbon monoxide alarms outside of bedrooms and in rooms with a fuel-burning appliance. Short-term rental properties are subject to state as well as local regulations requiring the use of carbon monoxide alarms. In 2009, the state of Colorado and the town of Avon began to require operational carbon monoxide alarms in all rental properties. If a home was built prior to the 2009 law, then it is a good practice to install carbon monoxide alarms for the safety of the home’s inhabitants.

Support Local Journalism

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User