Town of Vail offers tips for South Frontage Road traffic woes
VAIL — Monday through Friday commuter traffic, in conjunction with new construction detours, has brought South Frontage Road between the Vail Village parking structure and the Interstate 70 Vail underpass project site to a crawl. The Colorado Department of Transportation and the town of Vail are in the process of identifying and vetting alternatives to reduce congestion but in the meantime, here are some tips:
• Encourage affected employers to allow a more flexible schedule; adjust your weekday travel times to avoid the 4:30 to 6 p.m. rush along the South Frontage Road between Cascade Village and the Vail Village parking structure.
• If coming from West Vail, use the interstate and consider getting off at the East Vail 180 exit and backtracking to your destination.
• Don’t go east from the Cascade/Matterhorn area at this peak time. Use the interstate.
• If leaving from the Vail Village area, go east to the East Vail interchange to access the interstate.
• Consider carpooling, using the bus or bicycling to avoid and reduce traffic.
• The in-town bus will not be picking up during congestion at the Marriott and Concert Hall Plaza. It will maintain its normal route from Golden Peak to East Lionshead Circle (near the Lionshead parking structure).
• It has been found that officers directing traffic in the roundabouts reduces capacity instead of improving flows.
For updated project information, go to http://www.codot.gov/projects/I70 vailunderpass or call 970-685-7706.
The Colorado Department of Transportation and the town of Vail have installed a camera to help commuters plan their drives and follow progress of the underpass construction. Different camera angles can be viewed by selecting “Control” and then “Positions.” This allows viewing of the overall project (Home), a zoomed in view of the bridge work (Bridge), and the status of traffic to the west (West) and east (East).
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User