Two killed in hit-and-run accident in Frisco |

Two killed in hit-and-run accident in Frisco

Janice Kurbjun
Summit Daily News
Summit Daily / Aaron BibleFirefighters remove the body of one of the victims of Monday morning's wreck on I-70 near Frisco.

SUMMIT COUNTY, Colorado -Two women were killed and a man and a toddler seriously injured in a rollover accident on Interstate 70 near Frisco on Monday morning. Police are looking for a car that may have caused the accident.

The wreck closed I-70 westbound for a good part of the day, with traffic being routed onto Frisco Main Street.

The 39-year-old female driver of the rolled 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer, Renee Nevares, of Commerce City, was pronounced dead at the scene, along with 65-year-old Delores Ortega-Nevares, according to the Summit County Coroner’s Office. Nevares was restrained, but Ortega-Nevares was not wearing a seatbelt in the middle back seat and died of massive head injuries. An autopsy has been ordered for Nevares.

The accident reportedly involved a dark-red sedan, possibly an older Toyota or Hyundai model, that did not stop after the crash. State troopers are seeking information on the vehicle that was last seen headed eastbound on I-70. No driver information or license-plate information was recorded for the vehicle on the run.

It likely won’t look like it’s been hit, state patrol Sgt. Mike Baker said.

Support Local Journalism

“It contributed to the crash but did not actually hit anything,” he said.

Injured in the wreck were a 17-month-old child, Gregory Nevares, who sustained critical but non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to The Children’s Hospital in Aurora. The child’s car seat was reportedly not buckled and he was ejected during the rollover.

The remaining two passengers included a 40-year-old unrestrained male, Gabriel Nevares, who sustained serious injuries and was transported to St. Anthony Hospital in Lakewood and a 17-year-old, restrained male, Gabriel Nevares Jr., who was treated at Children’s Hospital in Aurora and was released.

The sport-utility vehicle wreckage was strewn across the highway, with the vehicle ripped to pieces. Clothes and debris from the car were strewn across the highway, eyewitnesses said.

Witnesses reported that the Trailblazer was headed eastbound on I-70 in the left lane when it swerved into the median and rolled across the westbound lanes, coming to a stop approximately 30 yards north off Westbound I-70 in the trees.

The family was from Commerce City. Traffic was bumper to bumper along Summit Boulevard and along Frisco Main Street – semis, sedans and SUVs – well into the afternoon. Some drivers reported a 30-minute drive from Walmart to the west end of Main Street around 1 p.m., and congestion caused delays in getting students home from Summit Middle School, whose drive empties onto Summit Boulevard.

All lanes of the Interstate reopened around 4 p.m.

Support Local Journalism