Urban Dance Challenge returns to Ford Amphitheater on Tuesday
If you go ...
What: 8150 Urban Dance Challenge.
Where: Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater, Vail.
When: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.
More information: Visit vaildance.org.
VAIL — Colorado’s top hip-hop dance crews and break-dancers will compete at the fourth annual 8150 Urban Dance Challenge on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. at the Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater.
This urban-inspired dance competition is part of Crazy Mountain Brewery’s Hot Summer Nights series and will feature six crews and four pairs of B-boys from all over the state who will then be judged by top-tier professionals from the hip-hop dance community. The crews and B-boys will compete for cash prizes and a spot to perform at the Vail International Dance Festival’s Dance House: Ballroom/Dance TV Remix on July 28. The first place crew will be awarded $1,200 and the second place crew will receive $400. The first place B-boy team will win $600, while second place winner will walk away with $200. The event is free to the public.
The 8150 Urban Dance Challenge operates in partnership with The BE Life Assembly and the Vail Valley Foundation’s Vail International Dance Festival and Hot Summer Nights. This year’s theme focuses on the culture of hip-hop, including its roots, history, theory and foundation. Dancers will be judged by the country’s industry leaders and founders of hip-hop movement.
• The Janes (last year’s winner), directed by Audrey Gibson
• Side by Side, directed by Sarah Touslee and Helen Noland
• Cohe, directed by Kayla Scott
• The Other Guys, directed by Michael Jaycox
• A crew directed by Angie Wolfrum
• Lion Heart, directed by Kino Aquino
• Soul Mechanics
• Bed Time Monstaz
• Amida Crew
• Young Gunz
• Emilio “Stretch” Austin is one of the godfathers of hip-hop and social dance. Stretch’s resume includes big names like Michael Jackson’s “Remember the Time,” and Will Smith’s “Men In Black” and “Getting Jiggy Wit It.”
• Moncell “Ill Kozby” Durden has taught dance and hip-hop philosophy around the world. He has been associated with the legendary Electric Boogaloos, Rocksteady Crew, Rennie Harris Puremovement and Mop-Top Crew.
• Ronnie “Ruen” Navarro is currently one of the most influential B-boys in the scene and has won prestigious titles globally for more than a decade. Ruen has also performed commercially and with top recording artists such as the Black Eyed Peas and KRS1.
8150 Urban Dance Challenge’s mission is to offer the Colorado urban dance community a challenging and invigorating summer event. For additional information, see the 8150 Facebook page at Facebook.com/the8150 or contact Mackenzie Davids via email at email@example.com or by phone at 720-771-6923. For more on the dance festival, visit www.vaildance.org.