Vail Daily letter: Just takes a spark
Vail, CO, Colorado
Today, as my personal Earth Day initiative, I decided to clean up a short distance of the road in front of my house while walking to get the morning Vail Daily.
I was stunned to pick up 17 bottles and cans, and 56 cigarette butts. Each cigarette butt was lying in tinder dry grass and leaves, and I fear this is a fire disaster waiting to happen.
Please, through your pages spread the word that no cigarette should ever be thrown out of a car window or tamped out outside.
The recent article about a window box fire igniting in the wee hours of the morning in Aspen should bring this home to everyone.
No planters or window boxes should be used, either.