Vail Daily letter: My Congressional Reform Act
Vail, CO Colorado
1. Term limits: 12 years. Options: A. Two six-year Senate terms; B. Six two-year House terms; C. One six-year Senate term and three two-year House terms.
2. No pension. A congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay or benefits when they are out of office. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan just like all Americans.
3. Congress (past, present or future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional Retirement Fund move to the Social Security system immediately. Congress participates with the American people.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3 percent.
5. Congress and the president lose their current health care system and participate in the same health care system that the American people do.
The American people did not give all these perks to congressmen. Congressmen gave all these sweetheart deals to themselves. We need to take back the Congress. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators. Serve your term – then go home and back to work.