Vail Daily letter: Rummage sale turned out great
Vail, CO, Colorado
Good Rummage year
The granddaddy of all shopping extravaganzas, the Eagle Valley Community Fund Rummage Sale, enjoyed an extremely successful sale in August. This was the second-best event in its 46-year history, generating a whopping $189,432 during the four-day event in Maloit Park. That translates into needed funds for more than 65 local nonprofit groups.
The sale would not be possible without the coordinated efforts of so many community members, so grateful thanks go out to:
• All the individuals and businesses who donate the clean, useable items that fill the 14 rooms of the facility, as well as the items for the silent and live auctions. (Donations are currently being taken for next summer’s sale at Maloit Park, and for large pickups, call 970-476-5701.)
• The efforts of all the volunteers that put in about 16,000 hours of time to sort, fold and mark the mountain of donated items that transformed the former school into a department store venue. Volunteers also mended and washed clothing, checked and repaired appliances, computers, televisions, lamps, alphabetized books, directed traffic, served lunch, coffee and doughnuts, put out fliers, cleaned and performed many other tasks to make the event run smoothly.
• To Jac Laman for his auctioneering skills.
• To all those savvy bargain hunters who came and shopped, shopped, shopped.
• To businesses that allowed posters to be placed in their windows to advertise the sale.
• To the media: Mark Bricklin, of The Vail Daily, Lynda Gustafson and Tricia Swenson, of TV8, Pam Boyd, of The Eagle Valley Enterprise, John LeConte, of The Vail Mountaineer, and Tony Mauro, of KZYR, who donated ads, wrote stories, took photos and conducted interviews that were instrumental in getting the word out to the community, generating donations, volunteers and shoppers.
It takes a community to put on a unique, successful event like this rummage sale, but the efforts will be widespread as funds are dispersed to sweeten the coffers of so many local nonprofit groups. Thank you to everyone involved,
The Eagle Valley Community Fund Auction and Rummage Sale Board of Directors: Vi Brown, Nancy Nottingham, Merv Lapin, Ken Mason, Sue Mott, Gail Newman, Valerie Wegert, Darrell Wegert, Ottalie Carlin, Mike Brown, Nancy Gamble, Marka Moser, Lorraine Haslee, Patty Plagen Dixon and Sharon Dale.