Vail Daily letter: Wake of the fire | VailDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Vail Daily letter: Wake of the fire

Diane Mattson
Vail, CO, Colorado

A very grateful mom thanks all the emergency workers for keeping everyone safe in the Avon condo fire May 28. It was the worst phone call I’ve ever had from my daughter, Pam Melot, telling me their condo was on fire.

Pam and her baby were safe after a neighbor knocked on their door as the fire was spreading. Her husband, Jon, rushed home and watched helplessly. I flew in from Oregon the next day to lend support and do whatever they needed.

It’s so hard as a parent to watch the pain caused by the fire. I was able to witness the quick responses from strangers, friends, their church and other churches as well as businesses who quickly came together to help all the victims by giving and serving. I sincerely thank all of you for your thoughts, prayers, offers of help and financial assistance to all of the tenants.



Someone said to me, “This is what you do when you live in such a great community as Avon. You come together as family and help each other, hoping that the same would be done for your loved ones elsewhere.”

Diane Mattson

Support Local Journalism



Hillsboro, Ore.


Support Local Journalism