Vail Daily letters to the editor
Vail, CO, Colorado
Here, here, Fredric Butler!
Your letter on Ron Paul was refreshing to see. Most people voting these days just keep on voting for the status quo, while at the same time complaining about the government we end up with!
Reasons to vote for Paul:
1. Paul is the only one for a balanced budget and a plan to get there.
2. The only one who would bring U.S. troops home immediately.
3. The only one who would end the Fed.
4. The only one who believes in the free market.
5. The only one who believes gold should be money.
6. The only one who would dismantle entire government departments.
7. He will stop the government from taking money from the middle class and the poor to give to rich dictators through foreign aid.
8. Ron Paul’s national-defense policy will ensure that the greatest nation in human history is strong, secure and respected.
9. He is the leading spokesman in Washington for limited constitutional government, low taxes, free markets and a return to sound monetary policies based on commodity-backed currency.
10. He is known among both his colleagues in Congress and his constituents for his consistent voting record in the House of Representatives.
11. Dr. Paul never votes for legislation unless the proposed measure is expressly authorized by the Constitution.
12. He’s a man of principle and family values. He has been married to Carol for over 50 years, and they are the proud parents of five children and have 18 grandchildren.
13. Ron Paul consistently voted to lower or abolish federal taxes, spending and regulation and used his House seat to actively promote the return of government to its proper constitutional levels.
14. He serves on the House Financial Services Committee and the Foreign Affairs Committee.
Shall I go on?
If you want to help get Dr. Paul elected, join our meetup group. See http://www.meetup.com/Eagle-County-CO-Ron-Paul/
More useless paths?
You can’t be serious! At a time when we are looking at closing schools and firing teachers, among other things, Ellie Caryle, of the ECO Trails committee, has the nerve to to tell us about the $500,000 they are about to spend.
On what, you may ask? More useless and unused bike paths.
I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of money being wasted on the Arn Menconi Highway.
But that’s not all. We apparently need to widen the shoulders of our roads to accommodate the one-day, once-a-year bike race – the same roads that run next to the unused bike path.
Bully for you, ECO Trails; maybe the out-of-work teachers can use the path to walk to the unemployment office or out of the valley.
So sorry to hear about doc
Please accept my sincere condolences in the loss of Dr. Charles Tuft, of Alpine Mobile Physicians.
I only recently learned of his untimely death while I was preparing for my visit there next week. I was one of his patients because when I visit Vail, I have issues with AMS and the high altitude.
I fondly called Dr Tuft “Dr. Oxygen,” and I thought he was just brilliant. I am sure you are all saddened by his loss. I felt it, too.
Dr. Tuft was a caring professional. AMS is not fun, and often I feel symptoms soon after I arrive. Dr. Tuft was the kind of doctor who made me feel better just by walking in the room.
What a good man. He will be missed by many outside your community, too.
Right to defend yourself
You have to see this story: http://www.prisonplanet.com/justified-self-defense-mom-kills-armed-intruder-with-shotgun-9-1-1-operator-gives-her-the-ok-to-shoot.html. Mild-mannered teenage mom blows away home intruder wielding large knife.
Two men tried to break into the girl’s house for 20 minutes. The girl is on the phone the entire time with 911 dispatch.
No cop showed up in 20 minutes? It just goes to show if you are counting on police to protect you from a crazed killer, you may find yourself on the wrong end of a blade.
You may also find that your only friend in the end is your 12-gauge shotgun. It’s a great equalizer for the nonmarksman.
What makes the story even more compelling is that the girl’s young husband died of cancer on Christmas Day. He was not there to protect his wife and baby when their door was kicked in by two thugs.
Such a sad story, yet it could have been far more sad. A week after his death, his wife was confronted by a lunatic and a 12-inch knife.
She did not flinch. Now that’s self-reliance, a big part of what makes America great.
This story should be front-page news in every paper in the land. The bottom line: Every thug who is contemplating a home invasion, beware! There could be a mild-mannered teenage girl waiting to send you to your maker with double-ought buck shot. Go ahead and try it.
There was an almost identical story that happened in Montana. A teen girl blew away her neighbor’s murderer with a shotgun during a home invasion.
The longer the economy fails to trickle down to the average man on the street, you will see more stories like this. More home invasions by desperate people with nothing left to lose.
Will you be a helpless victim? If you don’t know how to defend yourself, maybe it’s time to learn, especially if you are a woman living alone.
In view of those Bachelor Gulch break-ins, being in a gated community may not insulate you, after all.
It may even tend to make you more complacent about home security, enough so to leave doors unlocked for children who lose keys habitually. What’s worse than waking up to an armed intruder breaking in? Not waking up to one that walks in quietly through an unlocked door.
The right to own guns is under relentless attack by the federal government.
One of the most serious threats to gun ownership rights is Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s support for the United Nations Small Arms Ban Treaty. It is a back-door attempt to take away the Second Amendment.
The NRA made a video warning us of the plan to disarm American citizens with a treaty. Most people know about the NRA. Not as many have heard of Gun Owners of America. They are a no-compromise lobby against any form of gun control. Look up gunowners.org for more information.
Sure, that must be it
I think the unseasonal warm and dry weather is the result of Vail Resorts’ bad karma for raising the single-day rate with less-than-ideal conditions.
Way to keep them honest, Mother Nature.
Call it a nice start
A great big thank-you to all the dog owners who pick up after their dogs on the trails.
But “what the heck?” to the ones who pick up and then leave the plastic bag full of poop – what’s with that!?
Do you actually think there is a poop fairy who comes around at night to pick up your little goody bags?
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User