Vail dispatchers get an earful from visitor |

Vail dispatchers get an earful from visitor

Dustin Racioppi
Avon, CO Colorado

AVON, Colorado ” The next thing following a New Jersey woman visiting Eagle County may be her cell phone bill for all the calls she made to Vail dispatch over a span of about eight hours on Jan. 4.

The 50-year-old woman claimed at various points in the evening that she was being stalked by strangers, raped by unknown hooligans and that the police were trying to murder her. Despite it all, she wasn’t very kind to the police officers that actually weren’t trying to kill her.

And this is how the day for the worn-out dispatchers unfolded:

3:16 p.m.: The woman calls police saying that a maroon sports utility vehicle is following her from Frisco. She starts yelling obscenities at the dispatchers, then hangs up.

3:17 p.m.: Vail dispatch calls back, but the woman doesn’t answer.

3:40 p.m.: Vail dispatch calls back from a different number, and again no answer. But the woman called right back and said she wanted to file a police report. She couldn’t meet at the police station, though, so she called police again when she got to the Vail Valley so they could meet in a parking lot somewhere. The meeting doesn’t happen.

5:15 p.m.: An employee at a Minturn restaurant calls police to tell them about a woman, who he described as “not being right,” sitting at the bar, not drinking anything and yammering about how the police are following her.

8:31 p.m.: The woman calls police again. This time a taxi was following her. She also said somebody siphoned one-quarter tank of gas from her car and she needed to be referred to a tow company. When the dispatcher asked where she was, she started yelling obscenities again and hung up. The dispatcher called right back, received a “f— you,” and was again hung up on. The woman immediately called back, still maintaining her gas had been stolen, but added she had been carjacked and raped.

8:39 p.m.: Motorists start calling police about a car that is tailgating, flashing its lights and pulling in front of people and slowing down in front of them. The woman caller is suspected to be the nuisance.

8:56 p.m.: The woman calls into police again to report that a car was following her on Interstate 70. She told police there were three reasons the car, which had several passengers inside, was following her: They were either psycho, she said, or they liked her or liked her car. True to fashion that day, she then hung up the phone.

10:27 p.m.: The woman evades the car of stalking psychos and calls police to tell them a new bunch is stalking her “-the Avon police and Eagle County Sheriff’s deputies. She told the dispatcher she just wanted to be left alone.

10:35 p.m.: Dispatchers try to call the woman’s phone again, but she doesn’t answer.

11:09 p.m.: Things start getting serious now. At this point, the woman tells dispatchers that she is in Edwards and someone is in her car and trying to kill her. Then she hung up. Dispatch called back and her phone went straight to voicemail. They tried again and she answered. She told the dispatcher that the Avon Police Department was trying to kill her, and then she hung up.

11:15 p.m.: While on patrol, an Avon officer sees a black Chevrolet driving extremely slow on Interstate 70. He pulls the car over and it was the woman caller. The officer said she was very agitated when he was talking to her, trying to convince her to get out of the car and come to the station. Considering the traumatic day she reported having, it’s no wonder it took the officer an hour to persuade her out of the car.

On the way to the station she reminded the officer how she hated cops and how they are pigs and tend to beat up everyone they come into contact with.

When they got to the station, police put her on the phone with somebody from Colorado West Regional Mental Health, who talked to her for about five minutes and cleared her to be released.

Vail dispatch didn’t hear from her again that night. But when Avon police called her hometown dispatch center and told them what happened, they chuckled and said they deal with the same situation on a weekly basis.

AVON ” Thanks to the drunken antics of one Avon man, he is unemployed and the place where he once worked is out of a once-perfectly functioning fire alarm.

When the man entered the bar on Dec. 30, he was an off-duty employee. After too many drinks and the bartender’s cutting him off, he was on his way to being nearly banned from the joint.

The police report said he got mad after being flagged, and proceeded to the kitchen where he pulled the fire alarm, then ripped it off the wall and broke it.

When police went to the man’s apartment, he told them how sorry he was, how he’s trying to quit drinking and how he thought he tripped on the alarm.

The cost for the alarm was $177. The cost for the night of drinking and destroying the alarm was his job, because he was fired the next day. He was also summonsed with causing a false alarm and criminal injury to property.

AVON ” Despite a bomb threat at Denny’s late on Dec. 27, nobody’s hash browns or Grand Slam’s were disturbed.

The call came into an employee around 11:15 that night, and the person on the other line said they “put dynamite outside.”

Management called Avon police, who told them not to evacuate the building. Police arrived and searched around the restaurant and inside it. They didn’t even come up with footprints, no less a bomb.

Dustin Racioppi can be reached at 970-748-2936 or

Support Local Journalism