Vail: Melting snow may lead to gas leaks
Vail, CO Colorado
VAIL, Colorado ” After natural gas leaked from a broken gas meter outside an East Vail home Monday morning, the Vail Fire Department is asking people to remove ice and snow around their meters.
The weight of several feet of snow and ice on top of a gas meter broke it, and gas went inside a home, Vail Fire Capt. Coot Overcash said.
Two people were evacuated from the home after they smelled gas and called 911 about 9 a.m., Overcash said. Firefighters hooked a hose to a fire hydrant and sprayed water on the snow and ice to get through 7 to 10 feet of snow to reach the meter, Overcash said. They also opened windows to let gas out, Overcash said.
As snow melts with warmer weather, people need to get snow and ice removed from roofs, from which it could fall and break meters, and from on top of their meters, Overcash said.
“It doesn’t take much to tweak a gas meter and cause a leak,” he said.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Due to budget shortfalls, Vail Resorts has pulled this winter’s funding for its cloud seeding program — the longest-running in the state at 44 years — potentially reducing the amount of water flowing down the…