Vail Mountain program connects kids with the outdoors
VAIL — This summer, Vail Mountain plans to expose more children to the national forest by creating Epic Discovery Kids, a program offering free access to Vail’s new Epic Discovery summer activities to 2,000 kids from Eagle County schools and nonprofits and Colorado Front Range nonprofits.
Epic Discovery Kids is a new program created through the partnership of EpicPromise, Vail Resort’s charitable giving program, and Epic Discovery, Vail’s new on-mountain summer experience. Epic Discovery Kids will utilize Epic Discovery to provide a summer experience that will immerse local and regional children in activities which allow them to challenge themselves physically and guide them to explore and better understand their natural surroundings.
“Epic Discovery Kids will provide an avenue for kids to experience Vail Mountain in a whole new way and will hopefully help create the next generation of stewards by expose kids from diverse backgrounds to the mountains,” said Chris Jarnot, senior vice president and chief operating officer of Vail Mountain. “Vail Mountain is well-known as the ultimate winter playground, and Epic Discovery will build on that stellar reputation to create the ultimate year-round playground. The summer months promise new adventure and the opportunity for families to learn through play together in the national forest.”
Two Epic Discovery Kids programs will launch this summer: One aimed at kids from local and regional markets through nonprofit programs and one that targets local elementary schools in the community.
• Nonprofits: Vail Resorts will partner with local and regional nonprofit organizations that offer summer programing to bring a total of 2,000 kids for a hands-on environmental learning experience with the Forest Service and team building using the ropes courses, tubing hill and coaster.
Nonprofits will sign up in advance and come from the local community as well as the Front Range.
• Local schools: Partnering with Eagle County Schools, Vail will provide an on-mountain experience to every fourth-grader in the local community through Epic Discovery Kids.
Vail’s existing Adventure Ridge has already undergone enhancements with the addition of two rope challenge courses, summer tubing, a four-line Zip Flyer, as well as a kids’ challenge course and kids’ zipline.
In late June, Vail Mountain will debut the following Epic Discovery experiences:
• Game Creek Aerial Adventure: The ultimate outdoor experience, this guided tour will immerse guests in the forest habitat with an array of zip lines and aerial bridges as high as 300 feet above the valley floor.
• Forest Flyer: This gravity-based alpine coaster allows guests on individual sleds to descend on a raised track through the forest.
• Expanded trail system: A wildlife exploration trail, featuring mountain flora and fauna story stakes and a series of installations that each resembles a different animal ability.
Full details on all the Epic Discovery activities at Vail Mountain can be found online at http://www.vail.com.
Support Local Journalism
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User