Vail receives grant to repair riparian areas of Gore Creek near nature center
DENVER — A project along Gore Creek in Vail was among the recipients of the latest round of Colorado Parks and Wildlife’s Fishing is Fun initiative.
The program this year has awarded $400,000 to nine projects, all geared to improve angling opportunities in Colorado. The approved projects include improved access, habitat restoration, lake renovation, new piers and new ponds.
In Vail, a $30,000 grant will help fund riparian area restoration along Gore Creek at the Vail Nature Center. The project will improve access to the creek to prevent trampling vegetation. The project will also provide easier access to the creek for people with disabilities.
“Colorado has world-class fisheries and angling opportunities, and maintaining and increasing access to those resources is so important,” said Bob Broscheid, director of Colorado Parks and Wildlife. “The Fishing Is Fun program is a powerful program to improve angling access for residents and visitors alike, leveraging angler dollars to assist in providing additional opportunities.”
Other projects include:
• A boat ramp in Silt. The new ramp will be a safer and more easily accessible put-in or take-out spot for anglers floating on the Colorado River.
• A fishing pier for the Hyland Hills Park and Recreation District.
• A new pond project for the town of Akron.
• Renovations at Gazebo Lake in the town of Green Mountain Falls.
• A pond aerator in the town of Limon.
• A new park pond in the town of Penrose.
• West Denver Trout Unlimited received a grant for habitat and access restoration in Clear Creek Canyon.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
The Avon police detained the suspect to have a conversation with him, in which the suspect referenced his military family, blue lives matter, his time in the ROTC, immigration laws, his truck, CNN, the second amendment and the constitution of the United States.