Vail Rotary Duck Race grosses over $100,000
VAIL — The 17th annual Vail Rotary Duck Race grossed over $100,000, and 40 donated prizes were won by people who adopted ducks. The top prizewinner was eligible for a prize of $1 million, but this year there was no million dollar winner.
A few, but not all, of the projects planned for 2015:
• The Vail Rotary Learning Initiative, supporting Home-Based Childcare.
• Scholarships to graduating high school seniors.
• Dictionaries for all third-grade students in the Vail Valley (since 1999).
• Funding and a crew for the Interstate 70 highway cleanup.
• Provide I Can Read Songs program for local primary school children.
• Funding for the Zeke Pierce Memorial Scholarship for Paramedic Students at Edwards CMC.
• Present the annual Career Day for high school juniors and seniors.
• Host and send students abroad through Rotary International Youth Exchange.
• Support for Polio Plus, the Rotary International Polio Eradication Program.
• Fund a telemedicine program in Kosovo.
In addition, there were many nonprofits that sold ducks for this event. Those nonprofits (sales partners) sold almost 5,000 ducks and will receive a return of 60 percent of their total sales. The estimated total is over $16,000.
The nonprofit sales partners were:
• Eagle Lions Club
• Edwards Rotary
• Eagle Valley Child Care
• Eagle Valley Seniors
• Eagle Valley Senior Life
• Friends of Dance
• Small Champions
• Vail Boy Scouts
• Vail Gymnastics
• Vail Recreation District
• Vail Rotary (does not include farmers market)
• West Eagle Valley Rotary
The Vail Rotary Club was established in 1971 and was the original “Community Chest” in the valley and perhaps one of the first 501(c)3s in the entire valley. The club has always been a great think tank for what is needed in the community.
Prize winners in the 17th annual Vail Rotary Labor Day Duck Race:
1. Vail Rotary, $5,000, Cash, Lisa Tuthill, Avon
2. East West Resorts, $3,000, 2 nights- 3 bedroom, Ed Swinford, Edwards
3. Santa Barbara Beach Cottage, $1,600, 4 nights (provided by Mr & Mrs Ruh), Chuck Wallace, Florida
4. The Charter @ Beaver Creek, $1,200, 2 nights – 2 bedroom, Cythia Krause, Edwards
5. Minturn Anglers, $650, 2 person 2 day fly fishing school, Jennifer Ott
6. Park Hyatt BC, $500, 2 night stay, Tim Dahlberg, Denver
7. Pettit Photograpy, $475, 1.5 Photo session / digital negatives, Jason Miller, Texas
8. Karats, $300, gift certificate, Lisa LaRule, Vail
9. Vines at Vail Winery, $300, 1 case of wine, Kristin Rees, Texas
10. 4 Eagle Ranch, $270, Sleigh Ride Dinner for family of 4, Lisa LaRule, Vail
11. La Tour, $250, gift certificate, Karen Walsey
12. Lodge & Spa Cordillera, $250, 1 night stay Mtn Lodge room, James Kneser
13. The Home Depot, $250, Store purchase, Constance Irons, Vail
14. The Home Depot, $250, Store purchase, Patrick Stadler, Vail
15. Cos Bar, $200, Beauty Lesson, Julie Switzer, Minnesota
16. Vail Vitality , $200, 3 Private Lessons, Telia Tyler / Taylor Petrowski, Avon
17. PLATA Jewelers, $199, Amethyst necklace, Chris McVay
18. Aria Spa & Club, $175, 1 month membership, James Kneser
19. Vail Vitality , $175, 1 Magnesium Wellness Massage, Jerry McArthur
20. Spa Anhjali, $150, 10 Punch Yoga punch card, Darwin Winn, Texas
21. FRINJE, $100, gift certificate, Lisa Laursen, Boulder
22. Up the Creek Bar & Grill, $100, gift certificate, Jessie Cauffman, Pennsylvania
23. Route 6 Diner, $75, gift certificate, Jim Price
24. Tiffany’s, $75, Gift Card, Sherry Nauss, Littleton
25. Mountain Pedaler, $65, gift certificate, Linda Borton, Illinois
26. Moutain Pedaler, $65, gift certificate, John Whinery, Texas
27. Alpine Gardens, $50, Gif Card, Bev Barnes, Wolcott
28. Sweet Basil, $50, gift certificate, Jason Leach, Avon
29. Mountain Standard, $50, gift certificate, Cynthia Hess
30. Alpine Gardens, $50, Gift Card, Nicole Geraci, Avon
31. Fiesta Jalisco – Avon, $50, gift certificate, Laura Kayata, Texas
32. The Pet Boutique of Vail, $50, gift certificate, Alpenrose, Vail
33. The Pet Boutique of Vail, $50, gift certificate, Declan Lott
34. Pazzo’s, $25, gift certificate, Mag Hartley, Eagle
35. Pazzo’s, $25, gift certificate, Paula Kling, Avon
36. The Fitz @ Manor Vail, $25, gift certificate, Charla Blizzard, Gypsum
37. The Fitz @ Manor Vail, $25, gift certificate, Rose Stratton, Edwards
38. Woodys Restaurant, $25, gift certificate, Rissa Walsdorf, New York
39. Woodys Restaurant, $25, gift certificate, Brad Wolniak, Edwards
40. Riverwalk Barber Shop, $20, Hair Cut, Wolf Mueller, Vail
While it will be postmaster Elizabeth Turner’s first busy season in Avon, it’s far from her first holiday-shipping crunch.