Vail shares Ford Park parking ideas
Vail, CO Colorado
VAIL, Colorado – The town of Vail will sponsor an open house from 4 p.m. o 6 p.m., Tuesday, at the Vail Municipal Building to share initial findings of study of expanding parking at Ford Park. The open house will be held in the building’s hallway and will include opportunities for public comment. –
The study determined that, at approximately 2,000 vehicles, the park’s peak summer demand exceeds the number of spaces at Ford Park and in the Vail Village parking garage. There are 199 spots, plus 60 at the soccer field, and the study found that 600 spaces would be sufficient.
The feasibility study has identified the potential for a range of new parking spaces on site and the pros and cons associated with each of five options. There is to be no net loss of recreation within the community in the parking scenarios. Five such options have been identified: —
• 375 surface parking spaces with an estimated construction cost of $4 million, or $15,400 per parking space. This would require relocation of the tennis center off site. –
• 756-space structured parking garage with the tennis courts constructed on top, estimated at $54 million, or $72,000 per parking space.
• 650-space structured parking garage with multi-purpose fields constructed on top, estimated at $30 million, or $ 43,000 per parking space.
• 545-space structured parking garage with multi-purpose fields moved to the east, estimated at $46 million, or $75,000 per parking space.
• 160-space structured parking garage at soccer field will also be discussed.
The town’s consultant team, led by EDAW/AECOM of Fort Collins, did the study. The feedback gathered at the open house will be used to decide if any of the alternatives should be pursued.
The town’s Transportation Master Plan recommends the addition of 400 net new parking spaces in the short-term and 1,000 net new spaces in the long-term with possible sites to include Ford Park, Lionshead parking structure expansion and the Ever Vail development site in West Lionshead.
For more information or to view the five options in advance, visit vailgov.com.