Vail Town Council to review resale housing lottery process at Dec. 19 meeting
VAIL — Recommendations to improve the town of Vail’s annual resale lottery process will be presented to the Town Council at its evening meeting on Tuesday, Dec. 19, by representatives from the Vail Local Housing Authority. The item is listed as 5.2 on the agenda for the meeting, which begins at 6 p.m. in the Vail Town Council Chambers with opportunities for public comment.
The current lottery selection process has been in place since 1999 and was established at the direction of the Vail Town Council. Earlier this year, the council asked the Housing Authority to explore possible updates and enhancements after lottery participants expressed concerns about the effectiveness, appropriateness and fairness of the annual selection process.
After reviewing and analyzing the master resale process over the course of several meetings, the Housing Authority is recommending the following changes:
• Clearly define the goals and objectives of the town’s lottery criteria and process
• Allow current residential property owners, including vacant residential land, to participate in the lottery
• Phase out the weighted preference and tiered systems and replace them with a true lottery process, effective June 2018
• Replace the annual lottery process with an individual and separate process for each home when it becomes available for purchase
• Eliminate the minimum household size requirements
• Simplify the application submittal process and minimize to the extent possible the materials required for participation
• Implement a true lottery drawing process that affords all qualified participants an equal chance of being selected
Any amendments, improvements or enhancements made to the annual lottery selection process will require Town Council authorization. For a copy of the staff memorandum outlining the recommendations, visit the town’s website at vailgov.com. To comment in advance of the meeting, email the Vail Town Council at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User