Vail Valley Bizwatch: Zibby’s Ice Cream now open in Minturn
Business name: Zibby’s Ice Cream.
Location: 421 Main St., Minturn.
Date opened: June 6.
Owner: Elizabeth Horvitz.
• What goods or services do you provide? Homemade, small-batch ice cream, homemade hot butterscotch and hot fudge, golden waffle cones, chewy cookies, towering sundaes and dense custom ice cream cakes (made to order with at least three days notice). We also work with clients and/or their caterers to create custom flavors for any event, no matter how large or small.
• What’s new or exciting at your place? We are officially open and scooping delicious ice cream! Come visit us on Main Street in Minturn from noon to 8 p.m. Thursday through Saturday and at the Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch for Market on the Mountain on Wednesdays from 4 to 7 p.m.
I make one tub of each flavor and once it’s gone, I replace it with a new flavor, so each time you come to Zibby’s you’ll have new tastes to savor!
• What strategy do you use to differentiate your business from your competition? We make all our ice cream right in our kitchen in Minturn using dairy from Colorado cows. Each batch of our ice cream is small so it stays fresh — it tastes better that way. Also, we offer the best prices of any ice cream shop around because our focus is on families.
Zibby’s hot fudge, butterscotch, whipped cream, cookies and waffle cones are all made from scratch, too. Additionally, we also offer custom ice cream cakes for any occasion, which we also craft from scratch. One of the most important and rewarding parts of our business is establishing relationships with our customers by shaking their hand, introducing ourselves and getting to know them through conversation. We want customers to feel at home when they come to get an ice cream at Zibby’s.
• What philosophy do you follow in dealing with your customers? What can your customers expect from you? We love making people happy. Our customers come first; without them we wouldn’t exist, so we treat them the way that we would like to be treated, and we try to offer them the best ice cream for a fair price. We know our repeat customers on a first name basis. When people visit Zibby’s, they can expect a clean facility, a friendly face, enthusiasm and delicious ice cream!
• Tell us a little about your background, education and experience: I moved here from a small town on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire, where I grew up and worked as a high school teacher for five years. I’ve been experimenting with ice cream recipes for a while but, this past year, I attended Penn State’s famous Ice Cream Short Course, and learned just about everything there is to know about ice cream and how to make it well.
Ice cream is my favorite food and I happened to be at a transitional point in my life that made starting a homemade ice cream shop viable, so I took the leap and started Zibby’s! My husband Matt and I live in Vail with our old English sheepdog, Fozzie.
• What is the most humorous thing that has happened at your business since you opened? Watching kids eat ice cream on a cone for their first time. It’s always a funny, joyous mess!
Support Local Journalism
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User