Vail Valley duck hunters preserving habitats
Vail, CO Colorado
VAIL VALLEY, Colorado ” Those in Colorado’s Vail Valley who don’t like hunting or hunters can’t say they don’t do useful things for the environment ” Ducks Unlimited is a perfect example.
Ducks Unlimited, a nonprofit organization dedicated to conserving wetlands and waterfowl, is made up mostly of duck hunters ” thousands of duck hunters.
The group sees the importance of preserving these habitats, which stretch from Canada to all over the United States, because the habitats serve people and wildlife, said Tom Mullen, the local Ducks Unlimited chairman.
“Many organizations made up of hunters cross over with environmental and conservation (interests),” he said. “We want to see land used to benefit wildlife and people. You can’t have just one, central focus; it’s all interconnected.”
Support Local Journalism
There are about 250 local members of the national group whose local projects are mainly fundraising. The organization boasts an efficient use of its money, with 88 percent going directly back to conservation projects, Mullen said. The other 12 percent is spent on administrative costs and marketing.
“It’s all about conservation,” he said.
Conserving wetlands and grasslands are huge priorities for the group, because ducks mostly nest in grasslands, according to ducks.org, the organization’s Web site.
The group isn’t an in-your-face kind of conservation group, Mullen said. Its main purpose is to let people know about the importance of conserving waterfowl habitats, especially the fact that ducks migrate, meaning larger areas of land need protection.
The local chapter’s biggest annual fundraiser is Saturday at 4 Eagle Ranch. The dinner and auction’s proceeds will go directly to conservation projects put on by Ducks Unlimited.
Lauren Glendenning can be reached at 970-748-2983 or email@example.com
What: Ducks Unlimited fundraiser
When: Saturday, at 4 p.m.
Where: 4 Eagle Ranch in Wolcott
Cost: $75 for individuals, $100 for couples. Price includes membership to the organization and dinner. There will also be a silent auction and a live auction.
Visit ducks.org to learn more about Ducks Unlimited’s conservation efforts around the country and in Canada.
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Vail, Beaver Creek and Eagle Valley make the Vail Daily’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
In the wake of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, a number of people decided they’d had enough of city life, and the Vail Valley gained some new residents. The same may be true in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak.