Vail Valley news briefs
BEAVER CREEK ” Beaver Creek Ski Patrol will host two free avalanche and backcountry classroom workshops this season.
The first classroom workshop will be from 6-8 p.m. Thursday at the Avon Public Library.
In addition, ski patrol will host a free outdoor avalanche and backcountry awareness workshop and a hands-on beacon workshop and beacon-finding contest during National Safety Awareness Week in January. Beaver Creek Ski Patrol’s dogs will perform avalanche dog rescue demonstrations.
The workshops focus on snow physics, route selection, evaluating snow stability, beacons and avalanche phenomenon and rescue techniques.
“With strong early season snowfall in Beaver Creek and the surrounding backcountry, now is a good time to talk about backcountry travel,” said Addy McCord, Beaver Creek Ski Patrol director.
“Inside the ski area boundaries means great patrolled skiing and riding, but out of bounds means variable skiing conditions do exist … in the backcountry it’s up to each individual to be knowledgeable and take responsibility for recognizing and avoiding potential dangers.”
Space is limited and reservations are required for Thursday’s workshop. Call Beaver Creek Ski Patrol at 845-6610 to sign up. Additional workshops dates haven’t been announced yet.
VAIL ” Town of Vail buses are now running on a winter schedule. The winter schedule will run through mid-April. A complete bus schedule is available online at http://www.vailgov.com, or by calling 477-3456.
– West Vail Green loop will depart from the Transportation Center every 30 minutes from 5:45 a.m.-8:15 p.m. and every 40 minutes from 8:50 p.m.-2:10 a.m.
– The West Vail Red loop will depart from the Transportation Center every 30 minutes from 6 a.m.-8:30 p.m. and every 40 minutes from 8:50 p.m.-1:50 a.m.
– An East Vail bus will depart from the Transportation Center every 20 minutes from 5:50-7:10 a.m., every 15 minutes from 7:30 a.m.-8:15 p.m. and every 30 minutes from 8:30 p.m.-2 a.m.
– The Golf Course in-bound route will depart from the Transportation Center at 6:45 a.m., then every 30 minutes from 7:45 a.m.-10:15 a.m. The outbound bus will depart from the Transportation Center every hour from 10:45 a.m.-2:45 p.m., every 30 minutes from 2:45 p.m.-5:15 p.m. and every hour from 5:45 p.m.-9:45 p.m. An additional Golf Course outbound route will run at 2 a.m. if requested.
– The Sandstone loop will depart from the Transportation Center every 30 minutes from 6-8 a.m., 10 a.m.-3 p.m., 5-8:30 p.m. and 9:10-2:10 a.m., with an additional run at 8:50 p.m. The Sandstone loop will run every 20 minutes from 8-10 a.m. and 3-5 p.m.
– The in-town shuttle, which services Golden Peak, Vail Village and Lionshead, will run every five to 10 minutes.
For more information on bus service, call the town’s Transportation/Parking Department at 479-2178.