Vail: West Meadow work begins April 20
Vail, CO Colorado
VAIL ” The final phase of Vail, Colorado’s ongoing streetscape improvements begins April 20 along West Meadow Drive.
Work will take place seven days a week, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., until June 26, except during the Teva Mountain Games June 4 through 7. The town will host weekly meetings every Tuesday at 9 a.m. at the Vail library to review construction schedules.
Beginning April 20, West Meadow Drive will be reduced to one-way, westbound traffic only, 24 hours a day, seven days a week until work in finished. In-town buses will be rerouted to the South Frontage Road between Village Center Road and East Lionshead Circle with a temporary stop in front of the Vail Municipal Building. Pedestrians and bicyclists will not be affected.
During the work, curbs, gutters and new asphalt will be installed. Also, crosswalks will be installed at the intersection of Vail Road.
Under the second phase, a pair of 10-foot travel lanes with brick paver sidewalks and streetlights will be built between Vail Valley Medical Center and Vail Road. The north sidewalk, a Vail Art in Public Places project, will be designed by Colorado artist Richard Hansen, who says it will look like trails that skiers leave in snow.
The total cost of the West Meadow Drive project is estimated at $2.5 million, with 15 percent of the work funded by Four Seasons.
Other construction activity scheduled to begin during the spring:
– Removal of the tower crane at Four Seasons, April 13-17; requires a single lane closure on West Meadow Drive.
– Removal of the office trailers at the Solaris construction site from Village Center Chute, April 20.
– Excavation to repair a damaged storm sewer in the alley between the Ritz-Carlton and the Marriott, late April.
– Manhole access at Ritz-Carlton construction site will require a single lane closure on West Forest Road, April 20-21.
– Installation of the entry feature to East Meadow Drive at the Vail Road intersection; construction begins mid-May. The two bronze and steel lanterns were created especially by Colorado artist James G. Moore and are being paid for, in part, by Vail Plaza Hotel.
– Excavation of East Meadow Drive for installation of a sewer line, mid-May; requires a full street closure for approximately two-and-a-half weeks.
– Manhole work by Qwest at the Main Vail Roundabout on the north and south sides for two to three weeks April 20-May 8; traffic access will be maintained at all times.
Additional projects already underway include Four Seasons, Solaris, Bell Tower, Rucksack, Mountain View, Landmark, Lion Square Lodge North, Ritz-Carlton and Cascade Hotel. In addition, completion of artwork and other treatments are scheduled to take place at the Arrabelle at Vail Square, while a generator will be installed at Vail Valley Medical Center. Also, improvements to Checkpoint Charlie will be taking place to fulfill requirements of the Mountain Plaza development.
To view a map of the 2009 projects or for other construction related information, visit the town’s web site at http://www.vailgov.com. Weekly construction updates will again be distributed by the town. To sign up for the e-mail updates, visit the town’s web site (www.vailgov.com) and click on “town services,” then “vail-mail” subscriptions.