Valley in Brief: Eagle County, local towns sign climate action compact
EAGLE COUNTY — Eagle County and the towns of Avon, Eagle, Minturn and Vail were among the 27 jurisdictions from across the state that signed on to the Compact for Colorado Communities earlier this month. Founded by Aspen Mayor Steve Skadron, the compact was established to bring cities and counties together to take local action on climate change.
According to organizers, the goal of the Compact for Colorado Communities is to form a unified network that will:
• Create jobs, improve public health and demonstrate bold actions.
• Spur economic development through clean energy and preparedness programs.
• Secure funding and technical support for members’ local projects.
• Deliver visible community-improvement projects coveted by residents and local businesses.
• Facilitate the flow of funding from state and federal agencies, philanthropic organizations and the private sector to city and county programs.
At the kickoff event held May 19, Eagle County Commissioner Jill Ryan signed the following pledge on behalf of Eagle County: “I commit to advancing my community’s efforts to address climate change by championing our participation in the Compact of Colorado Communities. I will ask that my governing body consider the compact’s charter by no later than Sept. 30, 2017.”
“As local officials, we must lead by example if we expect climate change to be addressed at the state and national levels,” Ryan said. “By reducing greenhouse-gas emissions in our own communities, we are taking steps to protect our environment and our economy while also modeling actions we’d like to see take place across the country.”
For more information on the Compact for Colorado Communities, go to colorado.accoonline.org.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Vail officials talk reservations, employee perks, recent layoffs ahead of Sept. 17 Epic Pass deadline
With Vail Resorts Sept. 17 pass purchasing deadline looming, those considering the Epic Pass for this season are weighing their options.