Winners announced in Vail Valley Art Guild artist-photographer collaboration
“Side by Side” winners
• Most Creative Art and Photo — “A Weed By Any Other Name,” by Willow Murphy (artist) and Bex White (photographer).
• Most Similar Art and Photo — “Maroon Bells,” by Vida Kijauskas (artist) and Rachel Brockey (photographer).
• Best of Show — “Ghost Town, Mount Evans,” by Mio Cirkovic (artist) and Jon Sheppard (photographer).
• First place, artist — “Blue Columbine,” by Angela Overy.
• First place, photographer — “Moose in Water,” by Michelle Cawood.
• Second place, artist — “Vail Reflections,” by Joann Carhart-Levy.
• Second place, photographer — “The Bridge Between the Eternities,” by Astrid Carraro.
• Judge’s choice, artist — “Walking to Market,” by Soodi Kick.
• Judge’s choice, photographer — “Durango Double Header,” by Rick Spitzer.
EDWARDS — An estimated 400 people walked through the doors for the grand opening weekend of the Vail Valley Art Guild Gallery from Friday, Oct. 9, through Sunday, Oct. 11, featuring the inaugural exhibit titled “Side by Side.”
For the show, 42 artists and photographers teamed up to interpret an image of their choosing. The rules were simple: Both works had to be about the same size, and when hung in a gallery, it had to be easy to identify which works were pairs.
Rick Spitzer and Raymond Bleesz were pondering a collaborative show of artists and photographers shortly after a photographer’s group was added to the Vail Valley Art Guild in February. Joan Willoughby had asked Spitzer for a photo of a picturesque barn she wanted to paint for an Art Guild project, and the idea for “Side by Side” was born.
The exhibit was judged by Jason Leach, who chose individual winners and also handed out awards for collaborative efforts, including Most Creative Art and Photo, Most Similar Art and Photo and Best of Show. Gallery visitors voted on the People’s Choice award for the best pairing, which went to the duo of pieces titled “Walking to Market,” by artist Soodi Kick and photographer Barbara Hibben.
Music was provided by the AWE Chamber Trio to “enlighten” the opening of the gallery, located in the Amber Building of The Riverwalk at Edwards. A total of seven pieces were sold at the show, with a gross that exceeded $2,000. For more information on the Vail Valley Art Guild, visit http://www.vailvalleyartguild.com.
A cash reward is being offered for information leading to locating Ryan Daniels. The local 19-year old man went missing May 22.