Winter snow-removal operations underway in Vail; on-street parking not allowed
VAIL — The town of Vail has transitioned to its winter snow-removal operations. As such, no on-street parking is available within the town through April 15. Throughout the winter season, the Public Works Department is prepared to maintain Vail’s frontage roads and residential streets in a timely manner during and following each snowstorm.
However, for efficient snow removal operations on Vail’s streets, residents and homeowners are asked to follow the town’s snow removal policies:
• Homeowners and residents are responsible for maintaining their own driveways, parking areas and sidewalks following a snowstorm.
• Hired snowplow drivers are required to obtain a Town of Vail snowplow license from the town’s Public Works Department, located at 1309 Elkhorn Drive. Plow contractors also are required to display their name on the side of their vehicles.
• Snowplows and snow shovelers are not allowed to push or plow snow into public roadways, including snow-melted surfaces in Vail or Lionshead villages. Also, snow-removal activities must not obstruct access to fire hydrants, and cleared spaces around hydrants must be maintained.
• For pedestrian safety, the town does not allow any on-street or shoulder parking. This includes construction vehicles. Automobiles may be ticketed and/or towed if left on town streets or shoulders during snow-removal operations.
• Residents are encouraged to “adopt a hydrant” and keep the fire hydrant closest to their home free from snow.
• East Vail residents are advised to pick up local-traffic-only hangtags from the Vail Police Department front desk for quicker access in and out of the neighborhoods during closures of Vail Pass.
Following a snowstorm, roads that service the hospital, schools, commercial areas and the ski area are plowed by 8 a.m., with other residential streets plowed by 9:30 a.m. For additional information, contact Charlie Turnbull in the town’s Public Works Department at 970-477-3425 or 970-390-3008.