Can we amend the statute to allow Basalt area to secede from Eagle County? (letter)
August 7, 2018
About the article in the Wednesday, Aug. 1, Vail Daily ("Commissioners: No-go on secession vote," by Pam Boyd): It appears all concerned agree that it would be better if the Basalt area were separated from Eagle County.
The problem, they say, is an 1887 statute with an excessive number required to sign the petition to get it on the ballot.
What about getting that statute amended? Have our legislative representatives been asked about sponsoring that amendment?
Trending In: Opinion
- Have a safe and sober ski season; leave the drinking for apres (letter)
- Eagle County sheriff: Suicide breaking records in Eagle County; help is available (column)
- District Attorney: Felony summons instead of arrest is better path to justice for nonviolent offenders (column)
- Did readers recognize the message of elitist bigotry in Noble’s column? (letter)
- Noble: Collective delusion: Tell the people what they want to hear (column)
- Vail, Beaver Creek to open early for 2018-19 season
- Forest Service authorizes Golden Peak plan, Vail Mountain’s first expansion since Blue Sky Basin
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Vail Valley winter air service includes more flights from several cities
- Jonny Moseley, a ski bum touting a ski rum