Can we amend the statute to allow Basalt area to secede from Eagle County? (letter)
August 7, 2018
About the article in the Wednesday, Aug. 1, Vail Daily ("Commissioners: No-go on secession vote," by Pam Boyd): It appears all concerned agree that it would be better if the Basalt area were separated from Eagle County.
The problem, they say, is an 1887 statute with an excessive number required to sign the petition to get it on the ballot.
What about getting that statute amended? Have our legislative representatives been asked about sponsoring that amendment?
Trending In: Opinion
- Why I volunteer as a mentor with the Vail Valley Foundation’s YouthPower365 (letter)
- Ramirez: Why Testing Matters (column)
- Goldberg: Feinstein’s handling of Kavanaugh accusation has made our politics even uglier (column)
- Scatter ashes wherever, but don’t bring headstones into the wilderness (letter)
- Dylan Roberts has spirit to tackle Colorado’s health care issues (letter)
- Catherine Kelley’s murderer pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman, says he ‘hates’ what he did
- Dry weather prompts local, federal officials to put Eagle County back under fire restrictions, Stage 1
- Eagle County knows finding affordable housing solutions never gets easier
- Everybody sing, ‘Sweet Caroline,’ as Battle Mountain volleyball beats Eagle Valley
- Tamra Nottingham Underwood, fourth generation resident, running for council in Avon