Climate change causing third-driest winter on record in Colorado (letter)
April 12, 2018
I read the entire article "Third driest winter on record" (Friday, April 6) and found not one single word about climate change! Why do you think this is the third driest winter on record?
While much of the world is focusing on reducing oil, gas and coal, the United States goes blithely on supporting the fossil-fuel companies, with our heads in the sand. That includes our Republican senator and congressman and, to a lesser extent, our Democrat senator and governor. If you don't believe me, look up their voting records.
Climate change has been proven, and fossil fuels have been proven to be major contributors. If you think our politicians know more than the atmospheric scientists, no point in reading further.
By the way, you old timers, have you noticed how much stronger the winds are the past few years? Reminds me of the old saying, "They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind." We have sown our winds, and we are starting to reap. Please do whatever you can personally to turn us in the right direction. Every voice counts, and politicians, looking to the next election, sometimes actually listen.
Trending In: Opinion
- The future of our local wildlife is up to us; just say ‘no’ to paved access to Berlaimont (letter)
- Why I volunteer as a mentor with the Vail Valley Foundation’s YouthPower365 (letter)
- Our view: Restrictions may be lifted, but it’s still dry in the backcountry (editorial)
- Thomas: A history lesson on the Founding Fathers, courtesy of Brett Kavanaugh (column)
- Ramirez: Why Testing Matters (column)
- Vail Valley entrepreneur launches bikes into a new niche in the e-bike world
- Hardscrabble Ranch plan, and name change options, will be unveiled Wednesday night, Sept. 19
- Accused murderer Jacob White scheduled to plead and be sentenced Friday, Sept. 21, in Catherine Kelley case
- Eagle County Open Space celebrates new motocross park in Gypsum
- Vail Valley boy suffers only minor injuries after colliding with food truck