Column: Embracing inclusivity as we welcome new students at CMC
August 27, 2017
The incoming class of students at Colorado Mountain College will be the most diverse in the college's history. Importantly, these students are entering CMC at a time of significant national turbulence.
In light of the national context, it might be natural for new, incoming students to question whether CMC will welcome their ideas and opinions; whether it will embrace inclusivity, tolerance and justice; and whether it will allow an open forum for all ideas.
Though none of us can control all of the actions of any who might wish to interrupt the peaceful environment available at CMC's various learning locations, our amazing faculty and staff will strive to ensure that all students who look to CMC for a better future will be welcomed.
Our campuses are reflections of the communities across our region and are therefore representative of their significant political, economic, cultural and ethnic diversity. There is no such thing as a "typical student" at CMC.
Unlike colleges that select their students and create uniform conditions that replicate expectations of personal conduct and ways of thinking, CMC welcomes everyone and provides each student with opportunities to prepare for success in the future of his or her choosing.
As we witness unrest across the nation and globe, we at CMC are taking time to embrace and appreciate the great diversity of ideas and opinions our students bring. As appropriate within our myriad disciplines, we will encourage our students to understand the historical, political, social, economic, mathematical, scientific, philosophical and cultural underpinnings of our world.
Recommended Stories For You
We will equip them for success in our local, state, national and international communities and economies, and we will model the college's vision, principles and core values of inclusivity, civility, dignity and respect for all.
Carrie Besnette Hauser, Ph.D., is president and CEO of Colorado Mountain College. Reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org or @CMCPresident.
Trending In: Opinion
- Carnes: A bigly appropriate Christmas poem (column)
- Insert yourself into the cogs of democracy (letter)
- Lien: Tell Sen. Cory Gardner to support Land and Water Conservation Fund (column)
- Birds of Prey showed our valley shining in the global spotlight; thanks for your contribution (letter)
- Was that comment about ‘peasants’ riding the bus intended to be funny? (letter)
- Skier dies after crash at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Woman falls through ice in Edwards attempting to rescue dog from pond
- More than 2,400 petition signatures oppose Berlaimont plan north of Edwards
- Trust your gut: Man at center of I-70 stabbing incident warns public
- Head ski equipment company leading the way for lighter, performance-based boots