Eagle County Republicans chair: How to participate in the local caucus (column)
March 3, 2018
Last time, we discussed what a caucus is and went through the history of the caucus system ("Just what is a precinct caucus?" Wednesday, Feb. 21). This time, we'll get down to the details.
• What is the date, time and location of the caucus? As proscribed by state law, all major political parties will hold a caucus, with the Republicans' slated for Tuesday, March 6, promptly at 7 p.m. This year's largest Eagle County Republican caucus will be held at Battle Mountain High School; 26 of 30 precincts will attend in this one location. The exceptions will be the four precincts in Roaring Fork Valley (7, 8, 24 and 25) that will meet at St. Peter's of the Valley Episcopal church.
• Who can attend? The caucus is open to the public, but in order to participate in the voting process or to be elected to a position of precinct committee person, delegate or alternate you must be registered to vote in the state of Colorado and be affiliated with the Republican Party at least two months prior to the caucus. Additionally, you must be a resident of the precinct that you wish to participate with for 30 days prior to the caucus. Participation by absentee ballot or proxy is not allowed at any level of the process.
• How do you register? The easiest and most efficient way is to register online. By doing so, you can avoid the long lines at check-in and just pick up your packet of information in the express line. Preregistration online will only take a couple of minutes, and you can do that at email@example.com. You will then receive a prompt to fill in your address and zip code. With a few more clicks, you'll be ready to go.
• What happens at the caucus? Attendees will be grouped by precinct and will start by electing a chairperson and secretary for the night's event. And while we've got everyone in the room, we take this opportunity to recruit election judges and volunteers for all upcoming events.
The first order of official business is to elect two precinct committee persons from each precinct to serve as local officers of the Eagle County Republican Party Central Committee. The job of the precinct committee person is to act as a liaison with registered Republicans in their precinct. They will also vote on local party issues, as well as elect the Eagle County Republican Executive Committee. A person may be elected as a precinct committee person in absentia if they are unable to attend and have someone willing to nominate them.
Recommended Stories For You
Secondly, delegates and alternates to the county assembly will be elected. The Republican County Assembly is scheduled for Saturday, March 24, at 10 a.m. at the Eagle County Building in Eagle.
The last item of business is to discuss and approve or reject any resolutions to the party platform. These resolutions will be forwarded to the county assembly for action and can be prepared ahead of time by using the form on eaglegop.com.
• Are guests/observers allowed? You bet, and in the past we've had many. Some were guests of local registered Republicans and some were here on vacation and just wanted to be a part of the process.
In addition to the required business of the caucus, candidates may be present, as well as material on the their campaigns.
So that's the caucus in a nutshell.
Remember, if you want to be a delegate or alternate to the county assembly, you must be elected at the caucus. This is your chance to participate and be heard. This is your chance to help choose the leaders of the party. This is your chance. Don't blow it.
Kaye Ferry is chairperson of the Eagle County Republican Party. For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 970-376-5100.
Trending In: Opinion
- Edwards man comes face to face with mountain lion Tuesday night
- Vail Resorts shakeup: Beth Howard to replace Doug Lovell as Vail Mountain COO
- Skier rushed from Beaver Creek, pronounced dead at 85
- Arapahoe Basin cuts ties with Vail Resorts, unlikely to join Ikon Pass
- Skier killed in avalanche near Telluride