Vail Daily column: Quality options for students
Eagle County Schools boasts a number of quality and innovative school choice options. We’re committed to having a quality school in every community and to giving families the opportunity to find an option that’s right for their needs.
That’s why I’m pleased to announce that Eagle County Schools will launch a new online open enrollment system on Monday. This open enrollment system will allow families who wish to enroll in a school other than their community school to choose up to three choice options for enrollment.
This system will take the place of an old approach that was known as the “variance” or “transfer” process. This new system will allow parents to designate and rank their school choices from any Internet device. Selections for schools will become a standardized and fair process where we will work to accommodate the school choice wishes for all our families.
Eagle County Schools is proud of the number of innovative programs at our schools. These include:
• Several English/Spanish dual-language Schools: Edwards Elementary, Avon Elementary, Eagle Valley Elementary. Berry Creek Middle School also offers a dual language option.
Support Local Journalism
• An expeditionary learning model at Homestake Peak School.
• An international baccalaureate program at Eagle Valley Elementary. New for 2015, Avon Elementary will be starting up this program as well.
• An athletic magnet school at the Vail Ski & Snowboard Academy.
• A charter school at the Eagle County Charter Academy.
• An alternative high school at Red Canyon High.
• Two comprehensive high schools with Battle Mountain High and Eagle Valley High.
• A STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) focused middle school at Gypsum Creek.
• An online school with World Academy.
• Several quality community-based schools at Gypsum Elementary, Red Hill Elementary, Brush Creek Elementary, Eagle Valley Middle School, June Creek Elementary and Red Sandstone Elementary.
Our goal is to make sure that every school in our community is a quality option for our families. While most families in our community choose Eagle County Schools and most of our families choose the school closest to their home, we also have a number of families who make a different school choice for their student.
There are lots of reasons for this including the specific academic programming offered at a school, convenience for parent work location, test score performance at a school and family or friends who attend that school. Regardless of the reason, our district is proud of the many options we make available for our students and families.
Whatever choice a family ultimately makes, all of our schools are united behind a proven approach that includes having a professional and dedicated educator in the classroom, engaging standards and aligned quality curricula and customizing learning to fit every student — regardless of their background or future trajectory.
These foundational elements of quality educators, high standards and customized learning are the cornerstones of every great education system and they are what we relentlessly focus on.
Please keep an eye on the district’s website at http://www.eagleschools.net for information on the new open enrollment system. Families of currently enrolled students can expect to see a letter in the mail next week detailing this process.
We are proud and excited to offer this innovative service for the families of Eagle County!
Jason E. Glass is the superintendent of Eagle County Schools. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.