How are poor getting ‘short end’ of stick when it comes to paying taxes? (letter)
May 1, 2018
Many issues escape my understanding. One is why anyone with half a brain would waste two minutes reading Van Ens' commentaries. A second one is why the Vail Daily would waste good ink printing them.
Refer to Vail Daily Jack Van Ens, Sunday, April 22. Since I didn't waste two minutes, I am responding to the header, "Poor get the short end of tax cut stick."
Pay attention and read carefully, twice if necessary: IRS reports tax returns for the year 2015 indicate tax payers who earned more than $100,000 paid 80.6 percent of all federal income taxes, which represents 1.4 percent of all returns filed. Folks who made less than $100,000 paid 14 percent of all federal income taxes, which represents 44 percent of all filed returns.
Lower income and minorities have been supporting the Democrats for decades, and they are still criticizing and complaining about the same issues.
Being a man of the cloth, perhaps Mr. Van Ens can explain in his next rant why or how he supports a party that believes in killing babies in the womb? What do you suppose Jesus would say about that?
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- The future of our local wildlife is up to us; just say ‘no’ to paved access to Berlaimont (letter)
- Why I volunteer as a mentor with the Vail Valley Foundation’s YouthPower365 (letter)
- Our view: Restrictions may be lifted, but it’s still dry in the backcountry (editorial)
- Thomas: A history lesson on the Founding Fathers, courtesy of Brett Kavanaugh (column)
- Ramirez: Why Testing Matters (column)
- Vail Valley entrepreneur launches bikes into a new niche in the e-bike world
- Hardscrabble Ranch plan, and name change options, will be unveiled Wednesday night, Sept. 19
- Accused murderer Jacob White scheduled to plead and be sentenced Friday, Sept. 21, in Catherine Kelley case
- Eagle County Open Space celebrates new motocross park in Gypsum
- Vail Valley boy suffers only minor injuries after colliding with food truck