Independent voters bringing democracy back to America (letter)
May 16, 2018
Dear editor: Colorado's new open primary elections provide an opportunity for thousands of Colorado citizens to throw off the burden of being a registered Democrat or Republican. As Independents, we get both ballots. Going Independent and supporting open primaries is the first step in bringing democracy back to America.
Colorado is very fortunate that it has an open primary. Many other states are fighting against the Democratic and Republican parties that are blocking open primary legislation. The Independent voter movement today is fighting the tyranny of the two major parties and their stranglehold on America's election process. The movement to have a top two or ranked-choice elections in every state is gaining momentum. If Colorado could make that move, it would be one of the most democratic states in the nation.
The number of Independent voters in Colorado is growing daily. Independents now make up close to 40 percent of the registered voters in Colorado.
The Western Colorado Independent Voters based out of Glenwood Springs are working hard to educate voters on the new primary election process and advocating a top two or ranked-choice elections for 2020. One of the goals of Western Colorado Independent Voters is to bring democracy back to America.
All Independent voters from Western Colorado are invited to join us at Western Colorado Independent Voter's next monthly meeting where we will discuss the election, platform issues and more. The next meeting will be held Wednesday, June 13, at 7 p.m. at the Glenwood Springs Library. For more information, find the Western Colorado Independent Voters on Facebook.
Recommended Stories For You
Western Colorado Independent Voters
Trending In: Opinion
- $5 million for a pile of wood? Avon has better things to spend money on (letter)
- Democrats should communicate values, rather than just bashing Trump (letter)
- Let’s fund transit the right way: Vote ‘yes’ for Proposition 110 (letter)
- Vote ‘no’ on Prop. 109 and ‘yes’ on Prop. 110 to fund transportation in Colorado (letter)
- Wissot: Don’t let politics play such an overwhelmingly negative role in your life (column)
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard
- A community battles back: Vail rallies around rebuilding what terrorists destroyed in 1998 fire
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack