It could have been your child or grandchild; vote Tipton out of Congress (letter)
June 19, 2018
Two young friends from the Front Range both have grandparents with homes in the Vail Valley — one in Beaver Creek and one in Cordillera. That gave these two boys and their families a place to stay every winter weekend when they came up to the Vail Valley to ski together in the Beavos ski program.
One of them is my grandson, who is now grieving the senseless death of his friend and praying for the recovery of his friend's mother and younger brother. They were shot multiple times in a suburb outside of Denver this week in what is being called a "road rage" incident.
This is not normal. There is no other developed country in the world where children ever think of gun violence as an issue. It is a sad commentary when my two grandchildren that live in Jakarta, Indonesia, feel safer than my two grandchildren that live in the United States.
Please don't wait until it's you that can no longer kiss your child or grandchild good night. You have a chance to send a clear message to Congress that their inaction on common-sense gun legislation will not be tolerated. This November — vote him out.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- If Colorado declares autism an ‘epidemic,’ it could have very impactful social effects (letter)
- Sheldon: There’s been a rise in hate crimes in our country, and words aren’t enough to combat it (column)
- Our View: Vail Mountain doesn’t open early very often, so let’s enjoy the gift (editorial)
- Senior exemption from taxes? Here’s three reasons that would be a terrible idea (letter)
- Avoid factory-farm chicken, and push to change the laws governing their treatment (letter)
- Best of Vail 2018 winners (full list)
- Line cut leads to CenturyLink internet outages; service expected to be restored by 10 p.m. Tuesday
- Woman found in Vail Dumpster requests exclusion of police testimony from trial, scheduled for February
- Vail Opening Day is here! See live updates
- Sunny skies, fresh powder and free parking at Vail Opening Day 2018