Letter: Chairlift friend saddened by Morrie Shepard’s passing
October 20, 2017
I read the article on Morrie Shepard's passing with sadness ("Morrie's stories," Wednesday, Oct. 18). I was skiing alone on a January day three years ago and I met Morrie on the Avanti lift. I told him where I was from, and he asked if I knew his neighbor (which I did). He then began to tell me his life story.
We had a delightful conversation on the lift ride and continued to ski together for several hours. I heard more stories, got several skiing tips and the complete history of Vail and its personalities. I remember that day like it was yesterday with great fondness for a man I only knew for a very short time.
Trending In: Opinion
- $5 million for a pile of wood? Avon has better things to spend money on (letter)
- Vote ‘no’ on Prop. 109 and ‘yes’ on Prop. 110 to fund transportation in Colorado (letter)
- Democrats should communicate values, rather than just bashing Trump (letter)
- Let’s fund transit the right way: Vote ‘yes’ for Proposition 110 (letter)
- Wissot: Don’t let politics play such an overwhelmingly negative role in your life (column)
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard
- A community battles back: Vail rallies around rebuilding what terrorists destroyed in 1998 fire
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack