Letter: Disagree with Millar’s statements about NFL players taking a knee
October 20, 2017
I have to take exception with James Millar's statements in Valley Voices ("'More perfect union' comes from honoring flag, anthem," Wednesday, Oct. 18). He asks, "What is more unifying than Americans standing up and singing together about the one thing we share in this country, freedom?" Does Mr. Millar have any idea how often the freedom of black and brown people in this country is compromised just because of the color of their skin?
He says, "Much of the 'social injustice' reported is misleading." I wonder how he knows that. As to veterans totally agreeing with him, my very white, 21-year military veteran husband, were he still alive, would not agree. Perhaps Mr. Millar needs to switch his news source and read more history.
Trending In: Opinion
- Berlaimont Estates access route (letter)
- Democrats should communicate values, rather than just bashing Trump (letter)
- Backcountry Hunters & Anglers encourage sportsmen to vote public lands and waters (column)
- $5 million for a pile of wood? Avon has better things to spend money on (letter)
- Maybe it’s time to wipe the slate clean in Avon on Election Day (letter)
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Standoff near Breckenridge between police and armed suspect
- Fire is burning north of Dotsero, near Sweetwater resort
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape
- Hahnewald barn’s proposed first move would cost $390K, take up 12 parking spaces in downtown Avon