Letter: Do we now have a dictatorial county government?
Note: This letter was originally addressed to the Eagle County commissioners.
We ask this question because only a single sign has been posted at Freedom Park — also known as the Dog Park — informing the public that starting in October a fence will be installed, something park users are totally against. Not one individual was aware of a public forum held prior to a decision being made. Were residents excluded from due notification?
Over the past week, since the sign was posted, I have surveyed 53 people at that park and not one of them, I repeat, not one of them agreed with this county plan. Most of them considered it a total waste of taxpayer money and not a soul had a clue as to why the county made this decision without a well-published request for park-user input. Further, the sign provided no reason for the useless fencing.
It has been years since a small group pushed to make this park an amphitheater. Now this subject has surfaced again. A community group comprised of passionate dog walkers and recreational walkers who value the openness of the park use it every day of the year — in the sun, rain and snow.
Here are some reactions from users:
- Who is pushing for a fence?
- Seven individuals questioned whether corruption is involved.
- Others said if the county has money to waste, drop my taxes or make this a friendly park with more benches and picnic tables.
- Why limit the no-leash section to the front area since most of the joy is walking around the lake.
- Others shook their heads and said the decision is “dumb,” “wasteful” and “stupid.”
Please, commissioners, reconsider your decision, and help restore trust and respect in democracy. Pending a well-advertised public forum, halt progress for this project, at the behest of the people. Or, learn at the ballot box how foolish your support of this fence can be.