Letter: Insurance prices, taxes will rise with GOP plans, hurting elderly and low-income families
November 15, 2017
Editor's note: Find a cited version of this letter at http://www.vaildaily.com.
Now Republicans want to use their tax plan to repeal the Affordable Care Act's (aka Obamacare) individual mandate. According to the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, this will result in 13 million people being thrown off the insurance rolls, leaving an older and sicker insured population.
Premiums and medical bankruptcies would skyrocket if they continue with this folly. The plan also has a provision that would take $25 billion from Medicare. In addition, the same organization says, "Trump claims his plan would cut taxes for every income group, with the largest tax cuts for working- and middle-class families. But despite its enormous price tag, his plan would actually significantly raise taxes for millions of low- and middle-income families with children, with especially large tax increases for working single parents."
The purpose of this assault on the elderly and middle- and low-income families is to find enough money to afford tax cuts for the 1 percent and corporations. Is this what you voted for?
Trending In: Opinion
- Warning issued for Edwards residents after 8-10 mountain lions seen roaming neighborhoods
- O. J. Simpson spotted in Vail, posing for selfies
- Storm could bring up to 14 inches of new snow to Vail and Beaver Creek
- WATCH: Park City-area avalanche buries skier in harrowing backcountry episode
- Skier rushed from Beaver Creek, pronounced dead at 85