Letter: Need for mental-health programs in Eagle County is ‘astonishing’
November 1, 2017
Ballot Issue 1A will allow for the addition of more resources and promote access to mental health resources in Eagle County. There is a clear absence of resources within the county to care for patients with depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and more. If 1A is passed, the funding for the resources is generated from taxes placed only on recreational marijuana.
Nationally, uncontrollable small and big mental-health problems in individuals have the potential to create an unforgettable impact on a community. As a medical provider in the Vail Valley, I see patients that need mental health care. Unfortunately, less than 10 percent of patients' needs seem to be met in our county with its current resources, which includes Mind Springs Health and Mountain Family Health Care.
First responders such as policeman, firefighters and paramedics services tend to be utilized, and they are challenged because adequate resources are not available. There are no inpatient beds for mental health conditions in Eagle County. Visit http://www.mentalhealthvoteyes.com for the astonishing facts about the services.
Physician assistant, Edwards
Trending In: Opinion
- Mazzuca: Why was planting of American flag omitted from ‘First Man’ film? (column)
- Norton: The smartest person in the room is rarely the one doing the most talking (column)
- The Sandoval family thanks you for your support during their loss (letter)
- Matney: Are depictions of murder, bloodshed, violence and death the best way to have fun? (column)
- The persona of PSRA champion ski racer Lonny Vanatta, captured in photos (letter)
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area COO Henceroth chimes in on Opening Day
- Feeling trolled, Breckenridge residents want popular, wooden sculpture removed
- Loveland man dies in East Vail crash. No one else injured in Sunday evening accident
- Colorado ski season kicks off at Wolf Creek Ski Area
- Ski.com and Epic Pass are accepting applications for the dream ski job