Letter: New Frost Creek ‘kingdom’ emits glow that outshines winter night sky
January 8, 2018
Driving home from the 12th Night bonfire in Eagle, the burning of Christmas trees in the park, I was full of contentment seeing what makes our town so special.
Then turning up Brush Creek, I spotted a new light in the southern sky. Perhaps Christmas really wasn't officially over! Lo and behold there is a new kingdom, which glows even brighter than our fair small town. I was excited to see what it might be.
Sadly it was Frost Creek lit up like never before, on Saturday, Jan. 6, at 7 at night. Unless they were waiting for an archangel to land, I don't understand the tennis courts lit bright enough to land a Huey helicopter, and I doubt anyone was dining courtside.
I sat through enough county meetings to know our dark sky is an absolute treasure here and one that is protected. I would first ask for Frost Creek to review their lighting procedures and regulations and secondly see that their lights are down turned.
And why these tennis court lights in January, our most beautiful of winter night skies? You are not advertising to Interstate 70. Oh wait, private jets might see you. And like proverbial moths to a flame …
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Eagle County Sheriff: When it comes to teen suicide, the sound of silence is deadly (column)
- Vail Daily letter: White genocide nearly imminent in South Africa
- Town of Eagle exceeding authority in approving developments, building water plant (letter)
- How do we get to No. 1 again in Ski magazine resort rankings? Teamwork (letter)
- Wissot: We’ve got to do something about school shootings, but you know we won’t (column)
- San Diego man allegedly zip-tied his girlfriend, tried to strangle her in Vail lodge, faces attempted murder
- Edwards murder suspects want separate trials, prosecutors want them tried together
- Florida man’s lost ashes claimed by friend who’ll spread them in Vail’s Back Bowls
- After Lindsey Vonn falters, snowboarder Ester Ledecka pulls off stunning win
- Ledecka wins? What the fudge happened?