Letter: Please vote ‘yes’ on 1A, a tax on marijuana to help fund mental health
October 18, 2017
We don't have any facilities in Eagle County to deal with mental illness. None. The closest are a two-hour drive away.
This lack of treatment facilities and programs has been one of the most persistent problems we encounter. We finally have an opportunity to do something about it. Eagle County's Ballot 1A seeks your approval to tax recreational marijuana sale and production.
The revenue created will help to address the lack of facilities here. Like most sales tax-based revenue, the majority of the money raised will be contributed by purchases made by visitors to the county. More important, it is a tax on a want, not a basic need, so its impact on most residents will be minimal. It does not affect those who use or require use of medical marijuana products because those will not be taxed.
So let's do the right thing and please vote "yes" for 1A and let's help resolve this lack of treatment programs and facilities and make Eagle County a better place to live.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Berlaimont Estates access route (letter)
- Democrats should communicate values, rather than just bashing Trump (letter)
- Noble: We are a country of immigrants, so why are we afraid to embrace Spanish speakers? (column)
- Our View: The Vail Daily endorses some candidates, some ballot issues. Here’s why (editorial)
- Maybe it’s time to wipe the slate clean in Avon on Election Day (letter)
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Former Vail Valley arts patron Alberto Vilar trying to enjoy what’s left of his life after 10-year prison stint
- Town of Vail likely to change short-term rental regulations in response to complaints
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape
- Standoff near Breckenridge between police and armed suspect