Letter: End-of-summer days have been swindled from families and businesses
August 17, 2017
The youngster was enjoying kicking a ball in the Eagle-Bend parking lot as I walked by. Have to go to school soon, I asked?
His face suddenly changed; he did not look happy. Sorry, I said; guess that was the last thing you wanted to hear. School starts tomorrow, he mumbled.
Remember the good old days when school started after Labor Day? Remember those last treasured weeks when businesses could count on much-needed revenue before families had to settle in and put their kids back on the yellow bus?
Those summer days have been swindled from families and commerce. That is what happens when anyone is allowed to become a monopoly.
Trending In: Opinion
- Warning issued for Edwards residents after 8-10 mountain lions seen roaming neighborhoods
- Edwards man comes face to face with mountain lion Tuesday night
- Skier rushed from Beaver Creek, pronounced dead at 85
- Storm could bring up to 14 inches of new snow to Vail and Beaver Creek
- WATCH: Park City-area avalanche buries skier in harrowing backcountry episode