Letter: Sessions is merely enforcing existing federal marijuana laws; don’t like it? Change the law
January 11, 2018
Congratulations on publishing the most accurate and most rational commentary on the great marijuana controversy launched by Attorney General Jeff Sessions — simply an announcement that he intends to enforce the law of the land ("Just change it," Wednesday, Jan. 10).
The previous president's "guidance" authorizing state attorneys general and/or federal district attorneys to not enforce the federal laws against marijuana was, arguably, unconstitutional. The various states that took advantage of that "waiver" of enforcement did so with full knowledge of the consequences, and the numerous businesses that took advantage of the waiver did so with full knowledge of the risks involved.
If the majority of the nation's voters want to change the law, then they should petition their respective congressional representatives to do so. That is the appropriate and legal solution to all the controversy. The states and the District of Columbia have reaped a huge tax windfall from the violation of the federal law and don't want to relinquish that income, so they will be fully supportive of a change.
It is disturbing that various of our state and federal elected representatives are so supportive of the violation of the law.
Trending In: Opinion
- Eagle County Sheriff: When it comes to teen suicide, the sound of silence is deadly (column)
- Vail Daily letter: White genocide nearly imminent in South Africa
- Town of Eagle exceeding authority in approving developments, building water plant (letter)
- How do we get to No. 1 again in Ski magazine resort rankings? Teamwork (letter)
- Wissot: We’ve got to do something about school shootings, but you know we won’t (column)
- San Diego man allegedly zip-tied his girlfriend, tried to strangle her in Vail lodge, faces attempted murder
- Edwards murder suspects want separate trials, prosecutors want them tried together
- Florida man’s lost ashes claimed by friend who’ll spread them in Vail’s Back Bowls
- After Lindsey Vonn falters, snowboarder Ester Ledecka pulls off stunning win
- Ledecka wins? What the fudge happened?