Letter: Support Colorado Mountain College Measure 4B
October 15, 2017
I support Colorado Mountain College's Measure 4B. The results of the November 2016 elections were influenced by working-class Americans who feel left behind by our modern economy. Colorado Mountain College is the perfect antidote. It educates and trains the young and not so young who seek entrance into Colorado's unique recreation-based economy.
CMC is the primary provider of police officers, firefighters, nurses, early-childhood educators and hospitality workers in our mountain communities, and it is affordable. CMC maintains the lowest tuition rates in the state and has the third most affordable bachelor's degree programs in the nation.
CMC provides free college courses to more than 1,200 high school students in our mountain communities. It offers each in-district graduating high school senior automatic admission and a scholarship to go with it.
By voting "yes" for 4B on No. 7, you will feed more workers into Colorado's $35 billion recreation economy, which employs more than 300,000 people. A recreation-based economy inherently protects the reasons why we choose to live and work in Colorado: blue skies, clean air, clean water, open space, parks national/state/local, wilderness, trails, free-flowing rivers and ranches that will never be developed.
Recommended Stories For You
Nature photographer, Summit County
Trending In: Opinion
- Berlaimont Estates access route (letter)
- Noble: We are a country of immigrants, so why are we afraid to embrace Spanish speakers? (column)
- Our View: The Vail Daily endorses some candidates, some ballot issues. Here’s why (editorial)
- Maybe it’s time to wipe the slate clean in Avon on Election Day (letter)
- Loveland man dies in East Vail crash. No one else injured in Sunday evening accident
- Town of Vail likely to change short-term rental regulations in response to complaints
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape
- Comedians Steve Martin and Martin Short to perform at Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater in Vail