Letter: To Vail Recreation District: Thanks for supporting Vail Mountain School sports
November 9, 2017
As our fall sports season comes to an end, we wanted to take a moment to thank Mike Ortiz and the Vail Recreation District for their support of Vail Mountain School athletics. Our boys' golf team holds practices at the Vail Golf Club each fall with the help of Alice Plain and her amazing staff. In addition, the club hosts the annual Vail Mountain School Invitational, welcoming nearly 100 young golfers to the valley each September. Once the snow melts in the spring, our girls' golf team also gets an opportunity to get out of the indoor golf simulator and onto the greens at the club for a few weeks.
The boys' tennis team, which previously practiced in Edwards, found a new home at the Vail Tennis Center this year. With the support of Bob Seward and Adam Bybliw, VMS was able to host more events than ever before, welcoming players from Boulder, Grand Junction, Aspen and Steamboat.
In addition, when we have an upcoming game on grass instead of turf, or when the weather turns inclement and we can't use our own field, Joel Rabinowitz always finds us a place to practice on one of the VRD fields. And when the snow flies, the Vail Nordic Center will be the home of our lower- and middle-school Nordic clubs this winter, as in past years.
We appreciate the support of the Vail Recreation District and hope that others realize what a great impact their organization has on youth of all ages in our valley.
Recommended Stories For You
Vail Mountain School athletic director
Boys and girls' golf coach
Boys' tennis coach
Trending In: Opinion
- $5 million for a pile of wood? Avon has better things to spend money on (letter)
- Democrats should communicate values, rather than just bashing Trump (letter)
- Berlaimont Estates access route (letter)
- Backcountry Hunters & Anglers encourage sportsmen to vote public lands and waters (column)
- Vote ‘yes’ on 7D to support Colorado Mountain College, a diamond in our community (letter)
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard
- Standoff near Breckenridge between police and armed suspect