Letter: To Vail Recreation District: Thanks for supporting Vail Mountain School sports
November 9, 2017
As our fall sports season comes to an end, we wanted to take a moment to thank Mike Ortiz and the Vail Recreation District for their support of Vail Mountain School athletics. Our boys' golf team holds practices at the Vail Golf Club each fall with the help of Alice Plain and her amazing staff. In addition, the club hosts the annual Vail Mountain School Invitational, welcoming nearly 100 young golfers to the valley each September. Once the snow melts in the spring, our girls' golf team also gets an opportunity to get out of the indoor golf simulator and onto the greens at the club for a few weeks.
The boys' tennis team, which previously practiced in Edwards, found a new home at the Vail Tennis Center this year. With the support of Bob Seward and Adam Bybliw, VMS was able to host more events than ever before, welcoming players from Boulder, Grand Junction, Aspen and Steamboat.
In addition, when we have an upcoming game on grass instead of turf, or when the weather turns inclement and we can't use our own field, Joel Rabinowitz always finds us a place to practice on one of the VRD fields. And when the snow flies, the Vail Nordic Center will be the home of our lower- and middle-school Nordic clubs this winter, as in past years.
We appreciate the support of the Vail Recreation District and hope that others realize what a great impact their organization has on youth of all ages in our valley.
Recommended Stories For You
Vail Mountain School athletic director
Boys and girls' golf coach
Boys' tennis coach
Trending In: Opinion
- Time for U.S. Forest Service officials to say ‘no’ to Berlaimont Estates road project (letter)
- Mazzuca: The meek have already inherited the earth (column)
- With record profits the past few years, why doesn’t Vail Health lower its prices? (letter)
- Connect for Health Colorado: Optimism surrounds sixth-annual open enrollment (column)
- Worried about anthropogenic global warming? The super volcano will take care of that (letter)
- Colorado’s mom-and-pop ski areas are slipping away
- I-70 standoff suspect allegedly stabbed ‘good Samaritan’
- Vail Pass Rest Area death ruled a suicide
- Does cannabis cost, or pay? CCU study claims marijuana costs $4.50 for every $1 it generates
- Vail Resorts has sold about 925,000 passes of all kinds for this ski season