Letter: Tom Steinberg from afar
November 18, 2017
I have never visited Vail: I live around 5,000 miles away in the west of England.
Nevertheless, I've had a curious connection with the town via my namesake, the late Dr. Tom Steinberg, for more than a decade. This is due to the fact that in the early 2000s, I signed up to Google News Alerts for my own name. Almost immediately, I started to get a trickle of stories about this fascinating man and the amazing things he'd achieved.
Over the years, I felt like I got to know my older, better alter ego. Like me, he was into hiking and the outdoors. Unlike me, he had slept in the snow whilst fighting for his country.
I was truly sorry to see the news about the loss of this brave, determined, public-spirited man. I thought your readers might like to know that he is missed from afar, by people who never met him.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Berlaimont Estates access route (letter)
- Democrats should communicate values, rather than just bashing Trump (letter)
- Noble: We are a country of immigrants, so why are we afraid to embrace Spanish speakers? (column)
- Our View: The Vail Daily endorses some candidates, some ballot issues. Here’s why (editorial)
- Maybe it’s time to wipe the slate clean in Avon on Election Day (letter)
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Town of Vail likely to change short-term rental regulations in response to complaints
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape
- Standoff near Breckenridge between police and armed suspect