Letter: Vail football camp is no more
February 4, 2019
After holding the Vail Summer Football Camp for many years, I have decided not to hold the camp this summer. I am having a hard time coming to grips with this decision, but it's what I need to do. The camp was started in the early '80s to benefit Battle Mountain and the young players throughout Eagle County. Although we ultimately attracted kids from around the state and country, our purpose was always to benefit the local schools. I know a lot of people look forward to the camp, but it's time for me to bring it to an end.
In reality, the camp was successful due to the generosity of many businesses in the Vail Valley. Housing and activities were provided, and restaurants helped with meals, at either no charge or at significantly reduced rates to make the camp affordable. Certainly my thanks also have to go out to Battle Mountain High School and the Eagle County School District for making Battle Mountain available for the camp.
Thanks to all who have helped make the camp happen throughout the years and know that I'll always be rooting for you.
Trending In: Opinion
- Warning issued for Edwards residents after 8-10 mountain lions seen roaming neighborhoods
- Edwards man comes face to face with mountain lion Tuesday night
- O. J. Simpson spotted in Vail, posing for selfies
- Storm could bring up to 14 inches of new snow to Vail and Beaver Creek
- WATCH: Park City-area avalanche buries skier in harrowing backcountry episode