Letter: Vote ‘yes’ for Vail Recreation District capital funding
October 28, 2017
I'm writing in support of the Vail Recreation District's Ballot Issue A. I feel it is critical that the community understands the value and role VRD plays in this valley.
I am the executive director of the Vail Valley Soccer Club, and we utilize the VRD's fields, equipment and staff year-round. We are a competitive youth soccer club that hosts tournaments and league play over 10 to 12 weekends throughout the year.
Our teams are playing at the highest levels within the state for competitive soccer, and as such, we require top-level soccer fields that have been properly prepared. VRD has year after year prepared and managed the fields we use with professionalism, promptness and complete attention to detail, with the highest safety quality available.
Due to the VRD's impeccable care and management of the fields, the VRD is truly responsible for putting the town of Vail on the map as a location that can support and host world-class tournaments and professional athletes. VRD's understanding and appreciation of the needs of our soccer organization is above all others.
They have supported our Vail Valley Cup for many years, and with their support, we have been able to grow our tournament to 148 teams, which is the largest ever. This translates to 9,000 people who come to Vail the first weekend in October to enjoy our community. Because of this, Vail sees tremendous business in the offseason through lodging, restaurant and sales tax revenue.
I appreciate your time and consideration of this very important ballot issue. We support VRD and encourage everyone to vote "yes" on Ballot Issue A.
Recommended Stories For You
Executive director, Vail Valley Soccer Club
Trending In: Opinion
- Mazzuca: The meek have already inherited the earth (column)
- Time for U.S. Forest Service officials to say ‘no’ to Berlaimont Estates road project (letter)
- Connect for Health Colorado: Optimism surrounds sixth-annual open enrollment (column)
- Column calling bus riders ‘peasants’ was appalling and disgraceful (letter)
- Menconi: Demand a Yes vote on the War Powers Resolution
- Glenwood Springs rattled by earthquakes early Tuesday morning
- Jury convicts former Lake County undersheriff Fernando Mendoza guilty of aggravated incest
- Can a hashtag make driving Vail Pass more safe during the winter months?
- Colorado’s mom-and-pop ski areas are slipping away
- Obermeyer’s throwback styles make a comeback for 2019