Letter: Your opinions about Eagle-Vail governance aren’t news
January 17, 2018
News is news, and spin is spin, and when you introduce the second to the first, what you have isn't news anymore. Hey, presto, you've created opinion.
Being able to be presented with differing opinions is one of the glories of a free media, and it should make people stop and think. But a lot of people don't want to think. They don't want to admit that whatever line is being touted by their idol of the moment might not be unbiased and without ulterior motive.
Pardon the expression, but I can smell the bulls–t from here. Conspiracies? Cover-ups? Cronyism? There are groups crazy enough to think tearing apart the little unincorporated community of Eagle-Vail is a good thing. Crazy enough to think we should reduce our covenant enforcement and/or design guidelines. Crazy enough to think that little old Eagle-Vail deserves Washington-style, Trump-ian politics and to read into rather innocuous comments regarding joint governance and spin it as an end to collaboration between our Metro Board and Property Owners Association board or to be offended by the use of accurate adjectives (i.e., "malcontent") to describe their behavior.
They spin their opinions and present them as fact.
What is proven to work is working together to address community issues, to solve problems together. What has proven to be ineffective is to divide the community, to attempt to trash others and to pass budgets with operational deficits while touting the savings in annual fees. (I think this crew might need to visit the Steadman Clinic because they are at risk of throwing out their shoulders by patting themselves on the back so often.)
That's why I'm voting for Lance Richards, Dan Ramker and Joanna Hopkins for the Eagle-Vail Property Owners Association. They offer the pragmatic leadership Eagle-Vail needs and they recognize that we are better together.
Recommended Stories For You
This piece is opinion. Take it as you will. But get your opinions and spin the hell away from the news.
Eagle-Vail resident since 1993
Trending In: Opinion
- Was that comment about ‘peasants’ riding the bus intended to be funny? (letter)
- Birds of Prey showed our valley shining in the global spotlight; thanks for your contribution (letter)
- Lien: Tell Sen. Cory Gardner to support Land and Water Conservation Fund (column)
- Carnes: All days should be like this; sometimes it is fun to just hang out around here (column)
- Carnes: ’Tis the season for faux outrage at songs, TV and other holiday classics (column)
- Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz gives $2 million in grants to support mental health programs
- Russian spammers the likely source of fake email bomb threats, IT experts say
- Trust your gut: Man at center of I-70 stabbing incident warns public
- Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats and Shakey Graves to headline Vail Snow Days
- Vail Valley businesses need lots of seasonal help: there are 1,600 job openings