Vail Daily letter: Asking for your vote
Starting this week, Avon residents will vote to fill four of seven seats on the Avon Town Council. I’m respectfully asking each Avon resident for one of those votes.
Avon has undergone a remarkable transformation in the 21 years it has been my home. How many small towns can boast what we have at our doorstep? The Eagle River, Nottingham Lake, a world class ski resort, a science education center, a Blue Ribbon elementary school, a rec center heated by home-grown, cutting edge green technology, affordable shopping, diverse hotel and residential options, biking/hiking trails, easy access to BLM/Forest Service land, and low property taxes are the reasons we love to live in Avon. But we need to protect and enhance what makes us a unique mountain community.
I am committed to:
• Striking a balance between preserving what makes Avon unique and capitalizing on our natural and structural assets to drive economic development.
• Forging a distinct Avon identity through creative special events and innovative educational and cultural programs like a summer language institute and winter lake-related events.
• Maintaining fiscal discipline and a balanced budget.
• Promoting and expanding existing green initiatives as a core town value.
• Updating Avon’s redevelopment plans.
• Developing long-term parking plan.
• Fostering closer ties with neighboring communities.
• Focusing on international marketing.
• Enhancing the environment for existing and new business.
• Saving remaining historic structures.
I own a small business, LockerWorks LLC. For many years I worked as a China market consultant to American packaging and water processing machinery manufacturers, maintaining offices in Beijing and Shanghai. My B.S. in Chinese/Russian from Georgetown University and my M.A. in international studies/journalism from Columbia University prepared me to manage Perkin-Elmer Corporation’s first office in China. I have taught English as a Second Language in the U.S. and Taiwan, and currently teach Mandarin Chinese. I am past board of directors president of both ABC School and the Eagle County Charter Academy. My husband I raised our sons, Will and Ben, here in Avon.
If elected, I will protect and enhance what makes Avon a great place to live, work and play.
Sarah Smith Hymes
Support Local Journalism
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User