Vail Daily letter: Danger of ‘Trumpence’
July 20, 2016
Donald Trump has selected Indiana Gov. Mike Pence as his running mate. If you were not worried enough by Trump and his lack of experience, his rash and unpredictable personality that transfers to rash, dangerous and unsafe public and foreign policy, think about what Pence brings to the ticket. As governor of Indiana, Pence singed a law called the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which permitted discrimination against LGBT individuals. The law would also permit discrimination against others. If I said my beliefs prohibited me from serving a Jew, a Muslim or an African American in my place of business, the law would protect me.
In addition, Gov. Pence supported and signed into law one of the most restrictive abortion laws in the country and cut funding for Planned Parenthood, which, by the way, provides women with numerous critical health services other than abortions. He is against equal pay for equal work and he cut corporate taxes along with cutting funding for higher education and pre-kindergarten.
While Secretary Clinton has made a few pretty serious mistakes during her decades of public service, the good far outweighs the bad and there is no chance she would lead this country into the draconian era of a "Trumpence" presidency.
Carol L. Goldstein
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Former Vail Valley arts patron Alberto Vilar trying to enjoy what’s left of his life after 10-year prison stint
- Loveland man dies in East Vail crash. No one else injured in Sunday evening accident
- Town of Vail likely to change short-term rental regulations in response to complaints
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape
- Comedians Steve Martin and Martin Short to perform at Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater in Vail