Vail Daily letter: Find another option
February 25, 2016
I am writing to express my deepest concern about the proposed land swap in the town of Minturn.
The proposed development would destroy an iconic recreational and wildlife area in Eagle County, Meadow Mountain. This area is utilized extensively for hiking by the larger population of the Vail Valley.
On any given weekend, the Grouse Creek Trailhead is a very active trailhead for those that enjoy the moderate hiking, snowmobiling and beginner "backcountry" skiing.
The wildlife utilizing this area is extensive to include deer, moose, bear, mountain lions, and is also one of the few open areas upvalley for birds of prey to hunt.
Our family purchased a home in Minturn last May and would not have done so had we known of this potential gentrification.
I am a strong advocate of developing affordable housing in this valley. Can we please find another option for this development other than our precious Meadow Mountain?
Recommended Stories For You
With sincere concern,
Editor's note: The developer proposes homes near Grouse Creek but says it would preserve Meadow Mountain.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Glenwood Springs rattled by earthquakes early Tuesday morning
- Jury convicts former Lake County undersheriff Fernando Mendoza guilty of aggravated incest
- Vail Resorts stock took epic tumble Friday
- Can a hashtag make driving Vail Pass more safe during the winter months?
- Some Vail Valley residents felt small earthquakes that hit Glenwood Springs