Vail Daily letter: ‘No’ on 1B
October 10, 2016
Ballot Issue 1B is horribly deceptive! It starts by allowing "open space" funding for trails (which seems reasonable), but then adds a 15-year extension to the open space mill levy set to expire in 2025.
Nine more years of funding for trails should be more than sufficient, especially with matching money from the state lottery fund ($4.5 million just received). Why didn't the commissioners just stop there?
There is no reason to extend the open space mill levy another 15 years. Most of the obvious acquisitions have been made. Restricting more developable land makes affordable housing that much more expensive. What irony!
The commissioners erred by combining these two issues into one ballot question. Vote "no" on 1B.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Former Vail Valley arts patron Alberto Vilar trying to enjoy what’s left of his life after 10-year prison stint
- Town of Vail likely to change short-term rental regulations in response to complaints
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape
- Fire is burning north of Dotsero, near Sweetwater resort